Thursday, July 1, 2010

Someday it will be MY turn to embarrass HER

Here is a question that no one likes to be asked: "Are you a girl?"

It's not something I ever thought about before, not until my 3-year-old daughter started asking, well, pretty much everyone.

Women don't like it because, Hey, isn't it obvious I'm a girl? What are you saying?

Men don't like it because, Hey, isn't it obvious I'm NOT a girl? What are you saying?

What all of these innocent, insulted people don't understand, and what I try so feebly to explain ("Really, she asks everyone that question...") is that my daughter still doesn't get what exactly a "girl" is. She only asks because she's trying to find out who's on her team. She knows I'm a girl and she's a girl and one of our dogs is a girl, while her brothers and dad and the other dog aren't girls. But other than that she can't seem to figure out who's who. So she simply asks.

Innocence. It's so cute. Except when it's not.

No comments: